The Diocese of Venice engages First Advantage as the provider of fingerprinting, criminal background screening, & data management services.
All employees and those volunteers working with children and vulnerable adults are required to complete Background Screening and Safe Environment Training Certification PRIOR to beginning work or as an active volunteer.
Screening & Safe Environment Training Certification Process
You will be guided through creating your Virtus account, background screening, and scheduling a Safe Environment Training class as needed by logging in to Virtus Online.
- If you don’t’ remember your Diocese of Venice Virtus account information you will find a link to retrieve your account information on the Virtus Online login page when you click the link above.
- If you have a Virtus Online account for the Diocese of Venice, do not create a new account.
- You must create a new account, even if you have an account with another diocese.
First Advantage provides a web-based application & registration system for employees, contractor/vendors, clergy, religious, seminarians, and volunteers to complete fingerprint-based criminal history background screenings in accordance with the Diocese of Venice Policy and Procedural Guidelines relating to the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults. Use the above link to login to Virtus Online, which will guide you through the screening process.
Fingerprints are submitted electronically to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Results are sent to the Diocesan Background Screening Coordinator within 24 to 48 hours after submission. The coordinator will communicate to the entity to which you are connected.
Cost and Payment
- New Applicants
- Payment must be made at time of online registration with your personal credit card
- $57.50 for employees, clergy, religious, seminarians, and contractors/vendors
- Employees, clergy, religious, seminarians, and contractors/vendors will be reimbursed for the cost by submitting a receipt obtained from the Frist Advantage site during registration.
- $51.00 for Volunteers
- Volunteers are not reimbursed for the Cost of Background Screening
- An applicant whose screening results DO NOT meet the Level II Minimum Standards will be notified of their denial by the entity to which they are connected.
- Applicants who appeal the validity of information provided by the FDLE or FBI will be required to provide certified court documents clearly stating an acceptable disposition to the charge(s) in question to the Diocesan Human Resources Director.
- No applicant can be employed, work as a vendor or contractor, or volunteer unless they have been notified of a successful completion of background screening.
- Applicants who are former employees or former volunteers must be background screened before beginning employment or volunteering.
Safe Environment Training Certification
At the same time an applicant is registering for Background Screening, they can also register to attend a Safe Environment Training Session. You will be directed to select a class and attend the specific training. Login to the Virtus system by following the link at above to login to Virtus Online.
If you have questions regarding this process, please contact Cara Smith, the Diocesan Background Screening Coordinator, at 941-441-1104 or email email@example.com.