St. Mary, Star of the Sea Catholic Church in Longboat Key is seeking a self-accompanying cantor to lead the music during the Saturday afternoon masses.
Duties and Responsibilities
The cantor / pianist / organist will be asked to provide the music at the mass liturgies on Saturday afternoons at the church. Duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
- Provide music for the Saturday vigil masses at 5 p.m. during the SUMMER schedule (May through December) and at 4:30 p.m. during the WINTER schedule (January through April).
- As Music Minister will be required to cantor at the masses and accompany oneself on the piano / organ (optional).
- Reading and review of the weekly readings for that particular weekend’s liturgy, and select songs accordingly.
- Work with the Music Director on Music Planning for the various liturgies in the parish.
- Provide music for the overflow mass in the Parish hall on East Sunday.
- May be required to provide music for funerals, baptisms, weddings, and other events/liturgies at the parish.
- May be asked to fill in to lead the music at the Sunday masses as needed.
- Previous experience leading music during Catholic mass liturgies a MUST.
- Solid music background and excellent vocal ability is REQUIRED.
- Must be able to self-accompany via the piano (and optionally, the organ).
- Must be familiar with the Catholic religion and the mass liturgies.
Interested applicants should send a resume along with names of at least three references to ReneMNG@yahoo.com.