Last October, the Third Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops was celebrated in Rome addressing the topic: The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization. Following the event, Pope Francis decided to publish the Relatio Synodi, the document that concluded the Synod’s work. The Holy Father also indicated that this document would be the Lineamenta (working document) for the upcoming XIV Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops which will take place October 4-25, 2015 in Rome, addressing the topic: The Vocation and Mission of the Family in the Church and Contemporary World.
At the end of the Lineamenta, a series of questions are proposed for reflection in order to prepare for the upcoming Synod. Pope Francis, through the national conferences of bishops, has requested that consultation be given with input from the Local Church.
For this purpose, Bishop Frank J. Dewane, Bishop of the Diocese of Venice in Florida, has communicated with the Pastors, Parochial Administrators, and Parochial Vicars of the Diocese asking for their observations made in consultation with their local Parish councils and other parish groups. Bishop Dewane invites all other Catholics who wish to submit responses to do so by following the steps below.
The responses from the Diocese of Venice will be gathered with those of other dioceses by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and forwarded to the Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops for the Holy See.
Those wishing to provide input are asked to do the following:
1. Read all parts of the Lineamenta (Click here for English or Click here for Spanish)
2. Review the questions at the end of Lineamenta. There are 46 questions under three subheadings.
3. Though you are free to respond to each question, it is suggested that you focus on certain questions in an area of your particular interest, experience, or expertise.
4. Prepare a brief response to each.
5. All responses must be received by Friday, February 20, 2015.
Your responses must include:
· Your name and complete address
· Your parish name and the city of your parish
· Your role if you are making a submission officially on behalf of a group
· Your signature (if sending by mail)
Submit your responses either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Diocese of Venice
1000 Pinebrook Rd
Venice, FL 34285
Thank you for your time and consideration in this important study in preparation for the Synod!